I was shocked, saddened and engrossed this morning reading Paige Hewitt's article in the Chronicle today on the tragic murder of Terri Sanvicente at the hands of her ex-boyfriend, Jason Bouchard. The article is unusual because the source of the information comes from none other than the defendant, Jason Bouchard himself.
The callousness with which he provided Hewitt with the details of the murder are nothing short of horrifying. Not only does he admit to committing this inexcusable act of domestic violence in front of their three children (not to mention putting his children at risk of death by setting fire to the house), but he provides a large amount of testimony that could be very damning evidence of future dangerousness and lack of mitigation should the State decide to seek the death penalty.
Normally, I don't comment on criminal cases that are pending, but after a round-table discussion this morning with some folks, it brought up some interesting questions about how the Lykos Administration might potentially be handling this case.
Specifically, what are the prosecutors handling the case against Bouchard going to be able to gain from his ill-advised conversation with the media?
As I mentioned last year, Press-Pandering-Patsy Lykos was all over making sure to lend her support to the so-called Media Shield Law. So what happens if a prosecutor who may or may not be trying to decide whether to seek the death penalty on Jason Bouchard wants to see the notes and letters that Bouchard provided to Paige Hewitt?
Seems to me like Ms. Hewitt might get a chance to invoke the old Media Shield law if she so chooses. I don't know that the Media Shield Law will apply directly in this case, but I'm willing to bet that we'll find out if the D.A.'s Office decides to send the Chronicle a subpoena. I mean, we all know that Jeff Cohen ain't a big fan of the death penalty, so I can't imagine that information being turned over easily.
And thanks to Pat Lykos and others who supported the Media Shield Law, Cohen and Company has a tool to fight with.
But, of course, that also depends on whether or not Lykos even ALLOWS her prosecutors to try to get the letters from Hewitt in the first place. Last year, a memo came out from the Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight that no prosecutor was to issue a subpoena to the media without getting the blessing of the Queen, herself. Apparently, Lykos wanted her minions to know that the prosecution of criminal cases had better not annoy any of her media buddies.
I said it before and I'll say it again -- Pat Lykos puts media perception way above the rights or interests of victims of violent crime.
It was only a matter of time before it bit her in the ass.
I'm hoping it isn't at the expense of Justice and Terri Sanvicente.
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar